The ROSA Desktop Fresh GNOME R2 is finally out
29 января 2014 | Ekaterina Lopukhova | Company
company proudly presents the ROSA Desktop Fresh GNOME R2, the
distribution based on the GNOME3 desktop environment and the ROSA
Desktop Fresh R2 codebase.
GNOME3 modern desktop is the default GDM option, but users who do not wish to get involved into the GNOME3 innovative GUI and desktop features, would want to switch to the GNOME Classic. GNOME Classic is the desktop environment targeted to users who prefer more traditional desktop experience. While based on GNOME 3 technologies, it provides Applications and Places menus on the top bar, and a window list at the bottom of the screen. Last, but not least, we're presenting our own 'GNOME FallBack' mode realization based on the GNOME 3.6 for the legacy hardware users who would like to have a GNOME3 experience anyway.
The ROSA-elementary icon and Gtk theme comes by default, but you may freely switch to any of the available GNOME3 theme , and do not forget to change the wallpaper directly from the Firefox!
Some of the new features and fixes in ROSA Desktop Fresh GNOME R2:
- Automatic setting of keyboard layout, language and time zone based on GeoIP identification (GeoIP gets the default parameters, but they're editable)
- Acceptable automatic hostname
- The first user (i.e. user set up during the installation process) gets added into sudoers configuration
- Better btrfs support (btrfs formatting support moved to standart mode from experts mode; the partition size change command line option was modified to support the new version of btrfs-utils; for more info see
- Improved ISO generation for better support of USB-boot on some problematic BIOSes with earlier freezing issues (such as HP Elitebook, Sony Vaio etc)
Some system features:
- Fixed full-screen Flash animation playback issue
- Fixed 'Printers setup wizard' in the GNOME Control Center
- Using sha512 instead of pam_tcb finally solves the passwords setting issue in the GNOME Control Center
- The following panels were added directly to the GNOME Control Center: Fonts settings and GNOME tweak tools, plus some usability improvings
- You can watch video over FTP now from Nautilus
- GNOME FallBack session added
- With our ROSA Hotkeys shell extention you may use Windows way keyboard shortcuts in GNOME (gnome-shell-rosa-hotkeys)
- Fixed some security and usability issues (memory leak problems during long uptime; unlocked 'two finger scrolling only' hard locked parameter in the touchpad options so you may now set up the classical edge-scrolling way directly from the touchpad settings; wireless mouse battery level info added into the gsd-power-manager , and so on
Download the ISO to discover more!
Your bugreports are always welcome at ROSA bugzilla
For general R2 release info and errata please refer to ROSA Desktop Fresh R2 wiki page
You may always discuss ROSA Fresh R2 on our forums (English-French-Polish-Spanish speakers are welcome)